We arrived in Sydney on Saturday, October 11 at about 10 AM (Sydney time) about 28 hours after leaving home in Boerne.(Thursday at 11--we crossed the international dateline) We were tired--but excited to begin our new adventure. We knew we had stepped into a new world when the Taxi driver got in on the on the "wrong" side of the car. We had decided to economize a bit by not staying down at the harbor (the prime location) and instead booked the Hyde Park Marriott about a mile away. It meant Ken would be walking almost a mile to his meetings each day and I would be farther from the prime sightseeing features, but it turned out to be a great decision. I love Hyde Park--which connects directly to the Botanical gardens-
- and the views from th
e hotel are wonderful. 
These are the views from the balcony and bedroom windows. WE were lucky enough to be ugraded to a Junior suite so we have a little kitchen and livingroom area to spread out in and enjoy our time in the room.
After a shower and some down time, we started to explore...It's springtime in Sydney and the trees and flowers are in bloom and love is in the air.
Hundreds of young couples and families come to bask in the sun and enjoy the cool grass of the park. There are birds everywhere--including the White Ibis who make themselves at home throughout the city.
I think we saw 10 weddings in the course of a 3 hour walk. I don't know the bride that I digitally captured-- but I think it's one of the better pictures I ever taken so included it! The Park is filled with Art--(my photo not withstanding)--from the fountains and monuments to the actual Art Exhibit they have on display along the walkways.
This is one of Ken's rare attempts at photography and proves I am really here in Sydney. (I think if you click on the photo you will see a larger view.)Below are two of my favorite photos that are on display on 10 X 12 canvas/plastic banners lining the walkway. Ironically the dude being blown off his feat was in the San Antonio newspaper after IKE blew in... 

We finally got to the harbor and had dinner (risotto and pumpkin!) while watching the sunset on the Opera House. What a great introduction to Sydney and Australia.

Labels: Australia artwork
1 Comments:
What a wonderful trip and way to let us know about your adventures! We wish we were there, but at least it is finally cool here (high of 70 today). Markku and Suvi miss you lots! Markku would like a Koala brought home for him.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home